Sunday, August 2, 2009

Bibliotherapy

One of the things the psychologist suggested was bibliotherapy, in other words reading books as a healing experience. When you read about other people's experience, it helps you identify with your own feelings. It's sort of in the same vein as writing as a form of therapy or understanding one's self. Since I know that I enjoy keeping a journal and blogging, I figured that bibliotherapy would probably be something that I would like. So I bought a couple of books; Anatomy of a Food Addiction: The Brain Chemistry of Overeating, Gastric Bypass Surgery: The Psychological Journey and Exodus from Obesity: The Guide to Long-Term Success After Weight Loss Surgery. So far, I have read the Anatomy book and the Psychological Journey one.

Of the two, I got much more out of the second one. The Anatomy book had some good things, but at one point it got really preachy about that "you must have had a traumatic event in your past" kind of thinking. Which really isn't the case with me. The Psychological Journey one gave some great insight on what to expect as your body changes after WLS. All three of the books were written by someone who was in the medical field, either as a social worker or nurse and all three are by women who have had weight loss surgery. So I hope to find some bits and pieces from each of them to help me think things through.

No comments:

Post a Comment