Monday, April 18, 2011

Count Your Blessings

I had a very profound experience tonight. I was feeling rather sorry for myself, because granted, it's been a tough week. I was contemplating walking to the grocery store for a pint of ice cream. I was rationalizing the ice cream with the walk rather than driving. So I put my tennis shoes on and headed out the door. The farther I walked the better I started feeling. At a corner, I met a woman who was walking home from the grocery store with her bags. She had a very noticeable limp. I smiled at her and said hello. Then she said to me "I sure wish I could walk like you." I was dumbstruck. I said yes, it certainly is a blessing. And she wished me a good night, and I said the same. I wasn't two steps past her when I absolutely burst into tears and proceeded to cry for another half mile. I asked God to forgive me for my recent complaining and woe is me attitude. I kept walking and never did go get that pint of ice cream. I feel so terribly selfish for my recent pity party. I am so blessed and I need to take this bump in the road as a small and temporary inconvenience. God bless that woman with her groceries. I thank God for giving me some perspective tonight.

7 comments:

  1. What an amazing story, CeeJay! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it funny how signs come to us? Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool story. Interesting how events like that put things into perspective for us. And you didn't need the ice cream in the end :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely story. She must have been your guardian angel, there to help you.
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just read your big news. So sorry! I think you are doing the right things. I know you'll come out the other end better than ever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe. Sometimes we cannot figure out what has been put in front of us. Strange but delightful that such an event happened. It is such an endearing story.

    ReplyDelete