Saturday, May 5, 2012

TMI onTOM

OK, I know I can talk openly to my blog readers...so today's topic is my time of the month, also known as TOM. As a fat girl, I didn't get my period. It just stopped. The official term would be amenorrhea. As a woman in my 20's and 30's I went through all the tests, ultrasounds, etc. They ruled out PCOS and many doctors over the years just scratched their heads and prescribed birth control pills as a "fix" to make me menstruate. Not once did those doctors say...you are too fat and your body is telling you that by stopping menstruation. My fat cells and messed up hormones were interfering with my menstruation. My body was telling me loud and clear for over 10 years, "you are not healthy" but I didn't listen.

So, why all the talk about TOM today? Well, number one it started today and I have been tracking it using on online calendar. Today I realized that I have had 14 periods in a row--that's a real record for me! They are nearly "normal" in length, flow, predictability, etc. Something I have NEVER experienced in my life.This is all a by-product of losing weight. I never knew that I could be "normal".

So that also makes me think about another part of TOM, and that is the potential ability to get pregnant. Now mind you I am not currently in a relationship, but I am working on it. I am nearly 40 years old and wondering about the potential to still become a mom someday. I guess after all those years of having no periods I just assumed that infertility might be an issue. But now, after over a year of being normal in the world of menstruation, it makes me wonder about my fertility. Perhaps there is a chance yet? But first things first, gotta find the "baby daddy" LOL. Just some thoughts rattling around in my brain today. It's another one of those "I didn't realize what being that fat was doing to me" kinds of epiphanies.

No comments:

Post a Comment