Thursday, April 26, 2012

Is There Such a Thing as Lapband Fatigue?

I had a thought this morning, as I was struggling to get my breakfast smoothie down. Is this what I expected lapband life to be like? I think in the first year after banding I didn't mind feeling my band, because then I knew it was working and I was losing weight. I was happy with it. But lately, it almost seems like a nuisance to me. I am feeling good green zone kind of restriction right now, but I am always tight early in the morning, so I have to go slow. It's taken me a half hour to eat my smoothie--a liquid!! I have felt pressure, had the hiccups for going to fast and am sliming just a little bit. What a process. Granted my meals later in the day go a little better, but they too take at least a half hour and are a bit of a production. All part of being banded I guess.

Is there such a thing as lapband fatigue? Like I am just tired of having a lapband and all the fuss a weight loss surgery comes with? Maybe it's just frustration in not losing as fast as I would like. Maybe I had a taste of what unencumbered eating was like again (that's why I gained 25 pounds back!!). Maybe it is as others have described, the honeymoon period of easy weight loss is over and I am not at goal so there are major frustrations in that.

I am kinda sick of having a lapband, yet I know that if I were to be without it I would easily regain all of my weight back and more. Today the scale said 219 and that means I have lost a total of 84 pounds. I should be proud of that, that's huge. But I am also kicking myself because at one point I was able to say I've lost 100 pounds! At one point I could also say I am under 200 pounds, finding my way into onederland--not any more though. Ugh. It is a constant mental and physical battle. I'm tired of the fight, but I know that without the fight I would be back to 300 pounds plus in a heart beat.

Well, perhaps I need a reminder of what 84 pounds looks like (my high of 303 to my current 219), so for posterity sake here's a comparison picture. (Who is that girl!?) You have made progress. It is worth the battle. You will get to a goal of being under 200 pounds again. Just keeping going. You still have important work to do.

9 comments:

  1. What an interesting post...Lap Band Fatigue. Hmmm. I don't think this has happened to me...yet? Perhaps because I keep my band on the looser side of the spectrum? Not sure. But still a good food for thought post.

    PS: You were adorable before and are now. Comparison pics are my fave :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we have to remember that we would be feeling tired of being so fat and unable to do anything about it if we didn't have the band. I too beat myself up over not getting under 200 but we all really, really have to remember where we came from! Remember how hard the struggle was before the band, obsessing over calories, carbs, whatever and getting very little or no result. It's always struggle, at least we have conquered the beginning, the initial weight loss that really changed our lives. Someone recently said that the band is always there waiting for us to use it. We may be stalled right now but it will work for us again and, as you found out when you were unfilled, is working for us even as we are maintaining our initial loss. Also, I wanted you to know that I always look for your posts, I have always identified with you - we started at the same weight, I think about the same time. You're an inspiration to me and I hope to yourself also!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks grizzly! It's nice to know I am not alone. Thanks for the words of encouragement! :)

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness; this post resonated with me so much! I am truly suffering Lap Band Fatigue right now. I am really fed up with not simply being able to sit down and eat a meal. Full stop. That is it. I just want to sit down with a plate of food in front of me and eat it; and I'm not talking 'bad' food, just a regular meal, any meal. I don't want to have to worry about what the food is, I don't want to have to get up after a couple of mouthfuls and walk around to help the food go down, I don't want to have to judge whether just one more mouthful is going to send me rushing to the smallest room in the house with some PB-ness going on. But if I'm going to have to put up with all of that, I want the scales to show something for it - and they're not.

    I've been banded for two-plus years now. Is it the 'two year itch'?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Justine, we are in the same boat. I need the restriction but it makes eating so difficult. It is so hard to find the right place! Hang in there!!!

      Delete
  4. Great post...I feel that way too sometimes. I struggle with tightness a couple of times a month and the mornings are killer. When I fight the band, I make myself miserable. But I totally understand where you're coming from on this. Sometimes, it's just plain work! What a difference in your pictures. Be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  5. CeeJay- you can go back to basics and get to onederland!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the comments all. It's so nice to be back in blog land. I was missing for a while. I missed that extra support and someone who understands me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you are spot on with what a lot of people feel. Just like everyone said above, it stinks, but it is better than the alternative. Great post!!

    ReplyDelete